Tuesday, January 15, 2008

tv game shows - singing bee winner

JACKSONVILLE, FL -- A Jacksonville native, and Florida Gator who's now living in the heart of Trojan country, scored big with her voice on network TV.

Julie Snitzer Levine won $50,000 on The Singing Bee on NBC.

Contestants have to accurately sing the lyrics to hit songs, even when the band stops playing.

First Coast News chatted with the big star who had to run through some classics like the theme from Growing Pains, Welcome Back Kotter, The Dukes of Hazzard, Frasier, Golden Girls and the Greatest American Hero.

Your husband didn't make the audience, but he was there in spirit.

My contestant number was 227, which was a TV show in the 80s, my husband Jason is a huge comic book/superhero/sci-fi fan (geek), and I won the show and became champion on "Greatest American Hero" and I won the $50,000 on "Spider Man."

You taught what at Lee High school?

I was a Special Education teacher at Lee High School from 1996-1999. I was also the ZIP Coordinator and was the JV Cheerleading Coach for 1 year.

You went from the classroom to reality TV, what's tougher?

I don't know if I would call it reality TV so much as a game show. I guess when I think of reality TV I am thinking of Survivor...and teaching is a LOT like that. They both require you to be on your A-game every second. At least on a TV game show they can reshoot if something doesn't go right the first time...but in the classroom...not only will you know that you goofed..but the kids will call you on it every time.

We're under a cold snap right now, how's it out in Los Angeles?

We've had some really odd winter weather here. Lots of really high (and scary) Santa Ana winds, some cold nights and some beautifully warm days. I laugh at the weather here and the drivers...they are scared of the rain...maybe because it's so sporadic or maybe because they think they might melt...but LA drivers do not know how do deal with rain. On the other hand, the cold snaps we have had have produced some wonderful fall colors in the trees and the air has been cleaner than usual.

Did you go to the Rose Parade?

I've never actually gone to the Parade, although my first winter out here I did help decorate a float. I recorded the Parade on my DVR...I still need to watch it.

What do you miss about home?

I miss being able to have a nice glass of sweet tea, southern accents and the Waffle House. I also miss having my parents in the same neighborhood. I also miss being surrounded by Gators wherever I go! Seeing the Orange & Blue can be a rare sight out here at times.

You should be a USC Trojan fan by now!

Absolutely not. I am loyal to my Gators. The Bruins and Trojans could never take their place in my heart.

Any old names come out of closet after the nation saw you sing?

Actually yes. I have gotten emails lately from former youth group members (I was their advisor), old college friends, and other similarly random contacts...as well as calls and emails from friends who just happened to see the show while channel surfing (who I forgot to tell).

How'd you get into singing?

My dad and I started singing together when I was little. He has always loved to sing and music was always important to us both. I got a lot of early exposure to all types of music...and lots of musicals. It wasn't until years later that I found out that I could actually sing as well. Karaoke is a hobby that both my husband Jason and I enjoy.

What is special about it for you?

I'm not shy about anything...never have been. I love to sing...to get in front of a group, or even just to be in the car and belt out whatever is on the radio. Music has always been important to me and so many of my strongest memories are attached to specific songs.

-------------
Julee works as the director of Youth Education and Programs at a synagogue. She loves her job and the kids in her program. She also likes theatre, cooking, books and exploring Los Angeles.

Created: 1/3/2008 6:43:43 PM
Updated: 1/15/2008 12:57:51 PM
Edited by Gary Detman, Nightside EP
© 2008 First Coast News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten, or redistributed.

No comments: